What To Do With Your Car Or Motor Vehicle After The Accident

There are two types of accidents; (1) The type where your car is totaled and/or not drivable; and (2) the type of accident where you car is drivable. There is also the situation where you may be too injured to make any decisions about your car at the scene of an accident. Read more here

If you vehicle is obviously totaled and/or not drivable, and you are able, we first recommend if you are able too, that you call your insurance company from the scene of the accident to report the accident. Your insurance company should be able to give you a list of approved auto body shops that you can have your car towed too nearby, and you may find out that your insurance company will cover the cost of the tow. Often times your insurance company my arrange to have the car towed to the nearest approved auto body shop. Using this process will also help speed up the process of the insurance companies investigation, appraising the damage, and either having the car repaired or totaling the car. However, some insurance companies will not assign an adjuster to your case for 24-48 hours. Either way, try your insurance company first.

If the above is not possible, and you are in a situation where you can call your road side assistance company, call them, and inform them that you have been in an accident and ask them to send a tow truck to tow your car. With most road side assistance programs this service if free. If you allow the police to have your car towed, your car will usually be taken to a tow lot that will then charge you for the tow and storage until your car is removed from their lot. Although your insurance may pay for this, it will be harder to get your personal belongings out of the car in the short term.

If you car or vehicle is SAFELY drivable, then immediately drive it home or to your auto body shop to have get an estimate of the damage. It is very important to get the estimate in writing.