Needless to say you need to visit your dentist regularly. This will ensure that your teeth are cleaned and any sort of dental problem such as plaque or cavities can be detected. Your dentist will examine the gum tissues for any sort of deformity or issue. At the same time he will also clean your teeth. These are routine checkups that every individual need to follow. Visit your dentist three times in a year and get your overall dental checkup done. You also need follow a dental routine of brushing twice a day followed by flossing. These are simple hacks to ensure healthy gums and mouth. You may find more details about this at this article for more
While you are pregnant you need to make sure to follow these tips so that you and your new born baby are healthy:
- Take precaution in your first trimester and second half of third trimester and avoid paying visit to your dentist and undergoing any dental treatment. Tell your doctor that you are pregnant so that he can plan the treatment procedure accordingly. Your first trimester and second half of third trimester are crucial times for the growth of your child. So it’s always a wise decision that an expecting mother should avoid undergoing any dental treatment or dental procedures. You can still opt for routine dental checkup during your second trimester.
- In case you are visiting a dentist it is best to tell them about the medications that you are taking. Depending on the medicines your dentist will change the dental treatment plans
- Avoid X-Rays. However if it is mandatory to take X-Rays (in case of dental emergency) your dentist will take extreme caution in performing that procedure.
- It is important for you to undergo dental check up (except for first trimester and second half of third trimester). Hormonal changes take place during pregnancy and this puts you at a higher risk of getting infected by periodontal disease. With regular dental check up your dentist will be updated about your dental health and accordingly will suggest some dental treatment plan. During pregnancy there are chances that your gums become tender and you might be susceptible to gingivitis.
- Nevertheless you still need to follow proper dental hygiene.
- Morning sickness is common during pregnancy. If during this time you do not wish to brush your teeth with the regular toothpaste then speak with your dentist. He/she will suggest some brands that manufacture bland-tasting toothpaste.
- You do get craving for eating something spicy and at times sweet (such as chocolates and candies). It is difficult to avoid them but make sure that you do not overdo that. Eating too much of sugary and spicy snacks will lead to tooth decay and plaque.
- Consume healthy food.Do take care of yourself during this critical time. Eat healthy food and stay happy always. Visit your dentist for regular checkup and to gauge any ongoing dental problem.